We are committed to keeping a strong and open dialogue with our customers. This section allows us to let current and prospective customers know what we are working on and what is coming!
Check to see if the domain name you want is available!
Wednesday, February 25 2004: Spam Firewall Launched
Fusix is proud to announce the launch of spamfirewall.ca -- our new anti-spam and e-mail anti-virus service. Our spamfirewall.ca service will be provided to all our hosting clients at no additional charge starting on March 1, 2004.
Blocks spam using proven methods
By using all the best methods to block spam, the Spam Firewall provides comprehensive spam-blocking for our clients. Below are the primary methods used to block spam:
Suspect emails get quarantined
- Blacklisting of websites & domains: Uses an up to date list of the largest and most aggressive known spammers. This list is maintained by many anti-spam groups. This list is automatically updated hourly.
- Keyword scanning of emails: Our scanning methods include a scoring system such that emails are scored based on a number of criteria. If the score is above a threshold, then that email is flagged as spam.
- Checksum technology: the Spam Firewall monitors email traffic through the Internet and uses checksum technology to keep track of the number of times a particular message has appeared on the Internet. If a message has appeared over a certain number of times, it is categorized as known spam. Checksums of known spam messages are utilized by the Spam Firewall to block spam messages.
- Message authenticity checking: Several algorithms are utilized to verify the authenticity of a message. Some of these are simple checks to verify that the “from address” is authentic. Some are more complex relating to SMTP protocol.
- Blacklists and Whitelists: Domains, IPs, and email addresses can be blocked or whitelisted (allowed through).
- Rate controls: Utilized to stop denial of service attacks as well as dictionary based spam attacks.
- File type attachment blocking: Certain types of files, such as vb scripts, pif and scr files.
There are three main types of emails: emails that you want, emails that you do not want (spam), and emails that are suspect. The Spam Firewall tags suspect emails for delivery into a separate folder. You can then either have the end user or another designated person be the final judge of what to do with these suspect emails.
If you have any questions about the new spamfirewall.ca service, please feel free to contact the Fusix Team.
Fusix is a privately-held new-media and e-business solutions firm that has provided
specialised consulting, development and managed services since 2001. Its flagship
product, the SmartHost Control Panel, is used by thousands of people every day.
For more information, please contact the Fusix Sales Department.
Return to all News Releases